PER-IO-TORSCALING, ROOT PLANING & POLISHING.
The PER-IO-TOR® instruments are specially designed to optimize cleaning and planing of the rough root cementum, and prevent further removal once the surface is clean and smooth. The secret is the unique design of the PER-IO-TOR instruments, which have planing grooves set on a smooth surface.
PER-IO-TOR for Profin reciprocating handpieces:
PER-IO-TOR 1 and 2
are designed for root grooves and furcation areas.
PER-IO-TOR 3 and 4
should be used on plane and convex approximal surfaces. No 3 is extra thin for very narrow interproximal areas, such as lower anteriors.
has a concave working surface for vertical use on convex buccal and lingual surfaces.
has a convex working surface for vertical or diagonal use on concave approixmal surfaces.
PER-IO-TOR for conventional handpieces:
is a tapered cone for vertical use on root surfaces and especially in root grooves.
is a parabolic cone for use on concave root cavities.
is a hyperbolic taper for furcation areas.
Recent research has shown that a clean smooth root cementum is of great importance for good healing of marginal periodontitis and for the regeneration of the periodontal supportive tissue. The root cementum is only between 0,03 and 0,1 mm thick in the coronal third of the root. Therefore 10-20 strokes with a curette or 5-10 rotations with a 15 micron diamond bur may result in the complete removal of the root cementum. This can lead to an invasion of subgingival microflora in the dentinal tubules which may result in an infection of the pulp. Additionally, microflora and their toxins in infected root canals may go the other way, which will lead to disturbances in the healing of the periodontitis.
- All PER-IO-TOR instruments are made of high quality stainless steel and may be cleaned in ultrasonic baths, in thermal washers / disinfectors and in autoclaves at 135º C.
- PER-IO-TOR 1-4 may be used in all Profin and EVA handpieces.
- PER-IO-TOR 5-6 should be used in a Profin handpiece, since these instruments should be used in a locked position.
- PER-IO-TOR 7R-9R have a standard rotating right-angle fitting (RA).
- Degree of removal: approximately 0,005 mm at 2-3 minutes use until the root cementum is smooth.
- All PER-IO-TOR instruments should be used at approximately 10.000 rpm.
- The PER-IO-TOR instruments have been developed by Prof. Per Axelsson, Sweden, and are carefully documented. For references, please contact us.
54 W 39 St, 5th floor
New York, NY 10018